My installation of Firefox seems to have stopped listening to the target attribute of hyperlinks. Thankfully, the middle mouse button comes to the rescue. Clicking on a link with the middle button opens it the destination page up in a new window or tab, depending on how you set your defaults. The behaviour goes even further than this: the trusty middle mouse button does the same for bookmarks and the Google search bar; all very useful. And its not just a Firefox thing either. IE7 does the same thing for web page hyperlinks and bookmarks while in Opera, it is limited links on web pages.
Firefox 220.127.116.11 has made its appearance and the CPU usage bug seems to have gone away. We’ll see how it goes… Also, a new version of the Accuweather.com powered ForecastFox plug-in has come out. It was when I was using it that I noticed heavy CPU usage but the behaviour has yet to make its reappearance and I hope it never will. Now, I can get back to enjoying this very useful widget.
With a good amount of snow forecast for parts of the U.K., one’s mind does turn to weather matters. Interestingly, Accuweather is now powering browser plug-ins for all the major PC browsers and not just Firefox: Internet Explorer and Opera also get a look in. I have already tried out ForecastFox, the offering for Firefox, and had a quick look at the others. The IE add-on, I tested it with IE7, slots in neatly into the browser’s toolbar. Unlike ForecastFox, only the current weather and the forecast for the next day are shown for the selected location with a link to Accuweather for a 15 day forecast. The Opera widget is not docked with any toolbar, a bit of an irritation to put it mildly, but it does offer similar information.
These gizmos do highlight differences in the units used for weather information around the world. The U.S. is very much old school in its use of Fahrenheit (means next to nothing for me, I have to say) for temperature and miles per hour for wind speed. Other parts of the world measure temperature in Celsius (also called Centigrade) with wind speed measured in either metres per second or kilometers per hour. I find m/s strange for wind speed but mph or kph are fine; I think in terms of miles but my hillwalking is causing me to become more and more conversant in kilometers.
Having done a reinstallation, I have now got OpenSolaris going again in VMware and clone the VM in case I go on a wrecking spree again. I am going to leave VMware tools uninstalled for now so that I don’t encounter the display problems I previously experienced. Speaking of how it looks, I uploaded a screenshot here; the difference between how looks what its ancestor did are enormous. Having sorted the VMware/ZoneAlarm clash, networking not works as it should and I can access the web through Firefox. Now that everything is all set, the real explorations can begin.