Adventures & experiences in contemporary technology
Last weekend, I ended up doing a spot of file structure reorganisation on the web server for my Assorted Explorations website and needed to correct some file pointers in entries on my outdoors blog. Rather than grabbing a plugin from somewhere, I decided to edit the posts table directly. First, I needed to select the affected observations and this is where I had to pick out the affected rows and edit them in MySQL Query Browser. To accomplish that, I needed basic string searching so I opened up my MySQL e-book from Apress and constructed something like the following:
select * from posts_table where post_text like '%some_text%';
The % wildcard characters are required to pick out a search string in any part of a piece of text. There may be a more sophisticated method, but this did what I needed in a quick and dirty manner without further ado. Well, it was what I needed.